Continuous improvements in avionics keep driving the demand to update aircraft with cables that can transmit lots of data at higher speeds so aircrews can receive real-time information. Cables must also be able to survive aircraft environments without breaking or failing, whether it’s constant flexing during routing or severe vibration during flight.
GORE FireWire Cables are the premier solution for copper-based IEEE 1394b FireWire data links. Our cables transmit uninterrupted high-fidelity signals for interconnect solutions up to 30 m (100 ft) at S400 data transfer rates in all aircraft environments
SIGNAL INTEGRITY WITH FLEXURE
We evaluated the eye pattern of our FireWire cables before and during flexure to ensure signal integrity. They passed the eye mask test with margin and continued to maintain signal integrity without degradation even after we wrapped them around a mandrel 20 times. Aircraft maintainers can easily flex and tightly bend our FireWire cables in narrow spaces during installation without damaging or breaking them.
Also, our specialized quadrax design is much smaller by about 40% and lighter weight than dual twisted pair constructions. Our FireWire cables can save as much as 5.2 kg (11.5 lb) per aircraft on average. But even though our cables are smaller and lighter, they still provide a protective barrier against tough aircraft environments because of the proprietary materials and double-braided shield that add strength.
Highly flexible materials of GORE FireWire Cables
FireWire is a trademark of Apple, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
GORE FireWire Cables are engineered to perform reliably in a variety of aircraft applications, including:
- avionics networks
- flight controls
- networked video systems
- mission systems
If you have any questions or to discuss your specific application needs, please contact a Gore representative.
GORE FireWire Cables provide aircraft system architects and engineers with many benefits that improve electrical and mechanical performance such as:
- premier solution for copper-based IEEE 1394b FireWire data links
- uninterrupted high-fidelity signals with flexure up to 30 m (100 ft) at S400 data transfer rates
- protective barrier provides added strength against tough environments
- specialized quadrax design is 40% smaller than dual twisted pair constructions
- lighter weight construction proven to save more than 5.2 kg (11.5 lb) per aircraft
- tighter bend radius for easier and faster routing in narrow spaces
- compatible with variety of high-speed aerospace connector systems/backshells
- selected pre-qualified samples with short lead times for prototyping and evaluation
- low technical risk based on validated product performance in real-world conditions
For more information about the benefits of our cables, please contact a Gore representative.
These values demonstrate the electrical, mechanical and environmental performance of GORE FireWire Cables.
|Standard Impedance (Ohms)||110 +6/-4|
|Typical Operating Voltage (V)||< 15|
|Nominal Velocity of Propagation (%)||80|
|Nominal Time Delay ns/m (ns/ft)||4.10 (1.25)|
|Capacitance pF/m (pF/ft) (26 AWG)||36.1 (11.0)|
|Typical Skew Within Pair ps/m (ps/ft)||3.5 (1.1)|
|Dielectric Withstanding Voltage (Vrms)
|Mechanical / Environmental Property||Value|
|Jacket Material||Engineered Fluoropolymer|
|Jacket Color||White (Laser Markable)|
|Conductor||Silver-Plated Copper / SPC Alloy|
|Conductor Color Coding||Blue/Orange, Green/Red|
|Temperature Range (°C)||-65 to +200|
Part Numbers & Drawings
Download the drawings to view cable characteristics like diameter, weight, minimum bend radius and insertion loss.
GORE FireWire Cables have undergone substantial qualification testing to ensure they meet the most current industry standards and our customers' requirements.
- ABD0031 (AITM 2.0005); BSS7230; FAR Part 25, Appendix F, Part : Flammability
- ABD0031 (AITM 3.0005); BSS7239: Toxicity
- ABD0031 (AITM 3.0008B); BSS7238; FAR Part 25, Appendix F, Part V: Smoke Density
- ANSI/NEMA WC 27500: Environmental Testing, Jacket and Marking
- IEEE 1394b; SAE AS5643™: Designed to comply with performance requirements
- SAE AS4373™: Test Methods for Insulated Electric Wire (Contact Gore for available data)
- SAE AS6070™/8: High-speed data protocol cable requirements
Fill out a short form to receive a complimentary sample of our pre-qualified cables for prototyping and evaluation from our authorized global distributors, Air Cost Control (Europe) or WireMasters (US).
Gore will be attending this invitation-only forum to exhibit GORE® Aerospace Cables that ensure aircraft survivability and warfighter readiness and safety.
W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc. (Gore) has announced that complimentary samples of GORE® Tethered Drone Cables are now available with short lead times and can be shipped within two business days from the date of the request. Ideal for prototyping and evaluation, samples are available in 16-, 20- and 24-AWG configurations, with length options of 5, 10 and 15 feet.
Come by Booth 103 at this year’s symposiums to check out Gore’s advanced technical solutions for military and defense applications.
Gore will be featuring their selection of advanced technical solutions for military and defense applications at the 2018 Cribbins and Aircraft Survivability Equipment (ASE) Symposiums in Huntsville, Alabama on November 13-16, Booth 103.