+1 800 626 7708
Data Sheets, 1.66 MB
A premier solution for copper-based IEEE 1394b FireWire data links, W. L. Gore & Associates offers a version of quadrax cables called GORE FireWire Cables for Aircraft. Designed to withstand extreme aircraft conditions without damage over the life of the system, they transmit uninterrupted, high-fidelity signals with flexure for interconnect solutions up to 30 m (100 ft.) at S400 data transfer rates.
Continuous improvements in avionics keep driving the demand to update commercial aircraft with cables that can transmit lots of data at higher speeds so pilots can receive real-time information and passengers can access in-flight videos quickly. Cables must also be able to survive aircraft environments without breaking or failing, whether it's constant flexing during routing or severe vibration during flights.
GORE FireWire Cables are the premier solution for copper-based IEEE 1394b FireWire data links. Our cables transmit uninterrupted high-fidelity signals for interconnect solutions up to 30 m (100 ft) at S400 data transfer rates in all aircraft environments.
Signal Integrity with Flexure
We evaluated the eye pattern of our FireWire cables before and during flexure to ensure signal integrity. They passed the eye mask test with margin and continued to maintain signal integrity without degradation even after we wrapped them around a mandrel 20 times. Aircraft maintainers can easily flex and tightly bend our FireWire cables in narrow spaces during installation without damaging or breaking them.
Also, our specialized quadrax design is much smaller by about 40% and lighter weight than dual twisted pair constructions. Our FireWire cables can save as much as 5.2 kg (11.5 lb) per aircraft on average. But even though our cables are smaller and lighter, they still provide a protective barrier against tough aircraft environments because of the proprietary materials and double-braided shield that add strength.
Highly flexible Materials of GORE FireWire Cables.
FireWire is a trademark of Apple, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
GORE FireWire Cables are engineered to perform reliably in a variety of aircraft applications, including:
- avionics networks
- flight control
- networked video systems
If you have any questions, or to discuss your specific application needs, please contact a Gore representative.
GORE FireWire Cables provide aircraft system architects and engineers with many benefits that improve electrical and mechanical performance such as:
- premier solution for copper-based IEEE 1394b FireWire data links
- uninterrupted high-fidelity signals with flexure up to 30 m (100 ft) at S400 data transfer rates
- protective barrier provides added strength against tough environments
- specialized quadrax design is 40% smaller than dual twisted pair constructions
- lighter weight construction proven to save more than 5.2 kg (11.5 lb) per aircraft
- tighter bend radius for easier and faster routing in narrow spaces
- compatible with variety of high-speed aerospace connector systems/backshells
- selected pre-qualified samples with short lead times for prototyping and evaluation
- low technical risk based on validated product performance in real-world conditions
For more information about the benefits of our cables, please contact a Gore representative.
These values demonstrate the electrical, mechanical and environmental performance of GORE FireWire Cables.
|Standard Impedance (Ohms)||110 +6/-4|
|Typical Operating Voltage (V)||< 15|
|Nominal Velocity of Propagation (%)||80|
|Nominal Time Delay ns/m (ns/ft)||4.10 (1.25)|
|Capacitance pF/m (pF/ft) (26 AWG)||36.1 (11.0)|
|Typical Skew Within Pair ps/m (ps/ft)||3.5 (1.1)|
|Dielectric Withstanding Voltage (Vrms)
|Mechanical / Environmental Property||Value|
|Jacket Material||Engineered Fluoropolymer|
|Jacket Color||White (Laser Markable)|
|Conductor||Silver-Plated Copper / SPC Alloy|
|Conductor Color Coding||Blue/Orange, Green/Red|
|Temperature Range (°C)||-65 to +200|
Part Numbers & Drawings
Download the drawings to view cable characteristics like diameter, weight, minimum bend radius and insertion loss.
GORE FireWire Cables have undergone substantial qualification testing to ensure they meet the most current industry standards and our customers' requirements.
- ABD0031 (AITM 2.0005); BSS7230; FAR Part 25, Appendix F, Part : Flammability
- ABD0031 (AITM 3.0005); BSS7239: Toxicity
- ABD0031 (AITM 3.0008B); BSS7238; FAR Part 25, Appendix F, Part V: Smoke Density
- ANSI/NEMA WC 27500: Environmental Testing, Jacket and Marking
- IEEE 1394b; SAE AS5643™: Designed to comply with performance requirements
- SAE AS4373™: Test Methods for Insulated Electric Wire (Contact Gore for available data)
- SAE AS6070™/8: High-speed data protocol cable requirements
Fill out a short form to receive a complimentary sample of our pre-qualified cables for prototyping and evaluation from our authorized global distributors, Air Cost Control (Europe) or WireMasters (US).
Posted June 16, 2022
W. L. Gore & Associates (Gore) announced a new higher-frequency 40Ghz option for its GORE-FLIGHT® Microwave Assemblies. The new option will help EW and C5ISR users and customers who want to transport electrical signals reliably with minimal size, weight and power. The newest capability for GORE-FLIGHT Microwave Assemblies will allow for higher frequency applications that will offer low loss, high integrity and greater longevity cables.
April 3, 2022 - April 5, 2022
Come by Booth 305 to watch demonstrations so you can see the durability and flexibility of GORE® Aerospace Cables and Materials and how they continually outperform leading alternatives before and after installation and over time.
December 7, 2021 - December 8, 2021
Visit our Booth F16 to tell us about your latest airframe and aviation system developments and hear more about our solutions for the civil aerospace industry. We’re looking forward to meeting and talking in person again after so long!
November 15, 2021 - November 17, 2021
We’re excited to be able to meet and talk in person again after so many virtual meetings! Stop by Booth 609 to talk with us about your latest aviation and airframe system developments. And you don’t want to miss our latest Fiber Optic Cables Demonstration, so come by and ask to see it.
FOR INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY
Not for use in food, drug, cosmetic or medical device manufacturing, processing, or packaging operations.
Cables & Cable Assemblies
- Ethernet Cables for Civil Aircraft
- Shielded Twisted Pair Cables for Civil Aircraft
- CAN Bus Cables for Civil Aircraft
- Quad Cables (Specialty Versions) for Civil Aircraft
- Fibre Channel Cables for Civil Aircraft
- USB Cables for Civil Aircraft
- HDMI Cables for Civil Aircraft
- DVI Cables (Digital Only) for Civil Aircraft
- Fiber Optic Cables for Civil Aircraft
- Cable Protection Systems for Civil Aircraft
- Abrasion Resistant Cable Jacket for Civil Aircraft