+1 800 542 2624
+61 2 9473 6800
+49 89 4612 2211
+86 21 5172 8299
+33 1 5695 6565
+49 89 4612 2211
+91 22 6768 7000
+39 045 6209 240
+81 3 6746 2570
+82 2 393 3411
+52 81 8288 1281
+46 31 706 7800
+65 6733 2882
+27 11 894 2248
+55 11 5502 7800
+34 93 480 6900
+886 2 2173 7799
+44 1506 460123
New GORE® Foam Liner: High Roll-Off Series
New GORE® Foam Liner: Standard Series
Brochures, 909.45 KB
Venting solutions are essential to safely equalize pressure differences that could cause containers of liquid chemicals to deform, leak or burst. Learn why GORE® Packaging Vents are a safe, reliable solution to these problems.
Because of potential decomposition, some chemicals need to breathe, especially the hazardous formulations — like hydrogen peroxide, peracetic acid and sodium hypochlorite — found in industrial chemicals and cleaners. To ensure these potentially dangerous materials can breathe, they require ventilation packaging.
Without the appropriate venting solutions, containers of reactive liquids will collapse or bulge — and changes in altitude or temperature will accelerate this deformation process. As a result, the container can leak or even burst, creating great risks for end-users and the environment. Deformations, ruined labels and leaks are also costly to remediate, as they can negatively affect brand image, customer relationships, and profits.
GORE Packaging Vents minimize these risks: they reliably maintain the integrity of drums and containers — and consistently passing the rigid testing requirements of the DOT and ADR. Our vents are suited for a range of chemicals and applications.
MINIMIZE THE RISKS IN CHEMICAL SOLUTION PACKAGING, TRANSPORT AND HANDLING
Our vents for industrial chemical packaging meet stringent ADR and DOT standards, and are designed to reliably protect the integrity of liquid chemicals and their containers in a wide range of challenging applications.
Two ways GORE Packaging Vents protect package integrity
Reliable, effective venting maintains the integrity of containers and chemicals all along the supply chain, from manufacturing through distribution, storage and handling.
Breathable packaging vents:
- Continuously equalize pressure differentials, to prevent packaging of chemicals from deforming, leaking or bursting.
- Protects the integrity of packaging and labeling, to prevent damage to the brand’s image or reputation.
- Minimizes the chance of leaking or damaged containers, and the associated efforts and costs involved in clean-ups of spilled hazardous industrial chemicals.
GORE® Packaging Vents are the reliable solution to maintain the integrity of all types of industrial cleaner and chemical containers packaging. Their responsive pressure equalization effectively minimizes the risk of container deformations and leaks.
When pressures inside and outside the container are not equal, the container will deform. The longer or more exaggerated the pressure imbalance, the more likely the container will leak or even burst.
GORE Packaging Vents safely and reliably relieve pressure imbalances in all three situations that threaten to deform packaging:
Active Ingredients that Release or Consume Gases
Active ingredients in chemical packaging applications can off-gas (release gases within the container), or they can scavenge (consume) free oxygen within the container.
- Off-gassing will build up pressure within the container.
- Oxygen scavenging will create under-pressure within the container
Changes in the External Environment
During distribution or storage, industrial chemical or cleaner packaging is exposed to changes in the external environment. These changes (increasing or decreasing temperatures or altitudes) create pressure imbalances that can cause unvented or inadequately-vented containers to bloat or collapse.
Containers Designed to Dispense Liquids
Unless it is properly vented, industrial fluid packaging that provides a dispensing function is always vulnerable to collapse. That’s because the act of dispensing automatically creates an under-pressure within the container, and that under-pressure recurs with each use.
HAZARDOUS CHEMICALS AND INSTITUTIONAL CLEANERS
According to the U.N. Orange Book*, if a dangerous good is vented, no leakages are allowed. Packaging engineers must address this need for leak-proof yet breathable packaging to protect the container and its contents through the whole product life cycle.
The U.N. Orange Book requires ventilation packaging for these industrial chemicals:
- Chlorine bleach
- Hydrogen peroxides:
UN 2014, UN 2015, UN 2984
- Hydrogen peroxide and peracetic acid mixtures:
- Organic peroxides:
UN 3109, UN 3110, UN 3119, UN 3120
GORE® Packaging Vents breathable yet fluid-tight performance offers an exceptionally effective chemical ventilation system. Reliable airflow means GORE® Vents can, for example, prevent hydrogen peroxide bottle bulging. Yet these same vents are also designed to pass the toughest leakage tests for plastic containers.
Learn about other breathable packaging vent solutions:
* United Nations Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods Model Regulations, a guidance document to harmonize transport regulations for dangerous goods. Most dangerous goods regulations (ADR, IMDG Code, IATA and other national regulations) are based on the U.N. Orange Book.
When you need to be confident that your liquid chemical containers won’t bloat, collapse or leak, there are three compelling reasons to team up with Gore:
INNOVATIVE MEMBRANE TECHNOLOGY
- We continue to develop new and proprietary membrane technologies, even as we evolve and improve existing ones.
- Our membrane structures and properties can also be customized for specific customer needs or applications.
- We design and manufacture every vent we sell, and — unlike competitors — also every membrane that goes into them.
- Customers worldwide rely on our robust global supply chain for ready access to the products and support resources they need.
CHEMICAL APPLICATION EXPERTISE
- >25 years of partnering with leading chemical and cap & container manufacturers on applications including industrial chemicals and cleaners, agrochemicals, and institutional and household cleaners.
- Technical expertise in the properties and behavior of off-gassing/oxygen-scavenging chemicals, and in the ways fluid viscosity and surface tension affect venting.
- Development of proprietary testing methods such as Residual Airflow and LEP, which enable us to quantify our vents’ response to real-world challenges.
COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE
- GORE Packaging Vents pass rigorous approval tests for dangerous goods, and meet DOT and ADR standards.
- You’re assured of consistent product quality because our in-line manufacturing tests verify the structural and membrane integrity of each individual vent.
- Three Series of Plug-In Vents enable 100% traceability, because each vent has an individual laser-marked tracking code. All other vents offer lot-level traceability.
GORE Packaging Vents prevent leaks and deformations by reliably protecting the integrity of industrial chemicals containers. Inside each Plug-In Vent and each vented Liner is a GORE Membrane, providing breathable barrier protection that withstands the most aggressive chemistries and the harshest environmental challenges. Both styles of our vents are available in multiple sizes and performance options.
GORE Plug-In Vents
Gore’s Plug-In Vents can easily be installed via press-fit or snap-fit. Available for container sizes from 0.2 to 1,500 liters, they can be integrated into the closures of industrial drums, jerry cans and IBCs. These molded plastic vents Plug-In Vents are designed to withstand harsh chemicals and rugged use. They consistently demonstrate compliance with the UN Orange Book test standards, including the stacking test and drop test, as well as Dangerous Goods regulations like ADR and DOT.
- Available for container sizes from very small to 1,500 liters
- Suitable for industrial drums, jerry cans and IBCs
- Easy to integrate into container closures via press-fit or snap-fit
D38 / D17 / D15:
To see full details for each Gore Plug-In Vent, please download the GORE Packaging Vents Portfolio Data Sheet
Gore Foam Liners and Gore Pulp Induction Liners are the easy way to transform an existing non-vented package into a well-vented package – without modifying your existing cap or closure. All GORE Liners are available in single- and multi-up roll goods, as well as in various widths. Cut parts can also be offered.
Gore Foam Liners
|Gore Pulp Induction Liners
Gore Pulp Induction Liners provide reliable venting and tamper-evidence for agrochemicals including organic biostimulants.
For complete details, please download our new GORE Packaging Vents Portfolio Data Sheet.
FOR INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY
Not for use in food, drug, cosmetic or medical device manufacturing, processing, or packaging operations.