GORE® FireWire® Cables for Civil Aircraft
The trend continues to modernize aircraft with new technology, so pilots can receive information in real time and passengers can access videos instantly. Our IEEE 1394b FireWire cables reliably carry high-fidelity signals and data transmission, provide superb protection, endure continuous flexing, and save weight on aircraft.
+1 800 626 7708
Data Sheet: GORE® FireWire® Cables for Aircraft
Data Sheets, 1.66 MB
A premier solution for copper-based IEEE 1394b FireWire data links, W. L. Gore & Associates offers a version of quadrax cables called GORE FireWire Cables for Aircraft. Designed to withstand extreme aircraft conditions without damage over the life of the system, they transmit uninterrupted, high-fidelity signals with flexure for interconnect solutions up to 30 m (100 ft.) at S400 data transfer rates.
All Resources For GORE® FireWire® Cables for Civil Aircraft
- Test Data (3)
- Brochures (3)
- Videos (3)
- Data Sheets (2)
- White Papers (1)
- Drawings (1)
- Authorized Distributors (1)
- Industry Articles (1)
Continuous improvements in avionics keep driving the demand to update commercial aircraft with cables that can transmit lots of data at higher speeds so pilots can receive real-time information and passengers can access in-flight videos quickly. Cables must also be able to survive aircraft environments without breaking or failing, whether it's constant flexing during routing or severe vibration during flights.
GORE FireWire Cables are the premier solution for copper-based IEEE 1394b FireWire data links. Our cables transmit uninterrupted high-fidelity signals for interconnect solutions up to 30 m (100 ft) at S400 data transfer rates in all aircraft environments.
Signal Integrity with Flexure
We evaluated the eye pattern of our FireWire cables before and during flexure to ensure signal integrity. They passed the eye mask test with margin and continued to maintain signal integrity without degradation even after we wrapped them around a mandrel 20 times. Aircraft maintainers can easily flex and tightly bend our FireWire cables in narrow spaces during installation without damaging or breaking them.
Also, our specialized quadrax design is much smaller by about 40% and lighter weight than dual twisted pair constructions. Our FireWire cables can save as much as 5.2 kg (11.5 lb) per aircraft on average. But even though our cables are smaller and lighter, they still provide a protective barrier against tough aircraft environments because of the proprietary materials and double-braided shield that add strength.
Highly flexible Materials of GORE FireWire Cables.
FireWire is a trademark of Apple, Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
GORE FireWire Cables are engineered to perform reliably in a variety of aircraft applications, including:
- avionics networks
- flight control
- networked video systems
If you have any questions, or to discuss your specific application needs, please contact a Gore representative.
GORE FireWire Cables provide aircraft system architects and engineers with many benefits that improve electrical and mechanical performance such as:
- premier solution for copper-based IEEE 1394b FireWire data links
- uninterrupted high-fidelity signals with flexure up to 30 m (100 ft) at S400 data transfer rates
- protective barrier provides added strength against tough environments
- specialized quadrax design is 40% smaller than dual twisted pair constructions
- lighter weight construction proven to save more than 5.2 kg (11.5 lb) per aircraft
- tighter bend radius for easier and faster routing in narrow spaces
- compatible with variety of high-speed aerospace connector systems/backshells
- selected pre-qualified samples with short lead times for prototyping and evaluation
- low technical risk based on validated product performance in real-world conditions
For more information about the benefits of our cables, please contact a Gore representative.
These values demonstrate the electrical, mechanical and environmental performance of GORE FireWire Cables.
|Standard Impedance (Ohms)||110 +6/-4|
|Typical Operating Voltage (V)||< 15|
|Nominal Velocity of Propagation (%)||80|
|Nominal Time Delay ns/m (ns/ft)||4.10 (1.25)|
|Capacitance pF/m (pF/ft) (26 AWG)||36.1 (11.0)|
|Typical Skew Within Pair ps/m (ps/ft)||3.5 (1.1)|
|Dielectric Withstanding Voltage (Vrms)
|Mechanical / Environmental Property||Value|
|Jacket Material||Engineered Fluoropolymer|
|Jacket Color||White (Laser Markable)|
|Conductor||Silver-Plated Copper / SPC Alloy|
|Conductor Color Coding||Blue/Orange, Green/Red|
|Temperature Range (°C)||-65 to +200|
Part Numbers & Drawings
Download the drawings to view cable characteristics like diameter, weight, minimum bend radius and insertion loss.
GORE FireWire Cables have undergone substantial qualification testing to ensure they meet the most current industry standards and our customers' requirements.
- ABD0031 (AITM 2.0005); BSS7230; FAR Part 25, Appendix F, Part : Flammability
- ABD0031 (AITM 3.0005); BSS7239: Toxicity
- ABD0031 (AITM 3.0008B); BSS7238; FAR Part 25, Appendix F, Part V: Smoke Density
- ANSI/NEMA WC 27500: Environmental Testing, Jacket and Marking
- IEEE 1394b; SAE AS5643™: Designed to comply with performance requirements
- SAE AS4373™: Test Methods for Insulated Electric Wire (Contact Gore for available data)
- SAE AS6070™/8: High-speed data protocol cable requirements
Fill out a short form to receive a complimentary sample of our pre-qualified cables for prototyping and evaluation from our authorized global distributors, Air Cost Control (Europe) or WireMasters (US).
View all resources for GORE FireWire Cables for Civil Aircraft
Meet Gore at the Paris Air Show
June 19, 2023 - June 25, 2023
Visit our Booth 2C-C358 to see GORE® Cables and Materials that have been proven and trusted over time in fighter jets, rotorcraft and passenger airliners. Reserve your time slot now for a 1-on-1 discussion to talk with us about your latest airframe and aviation system developments.
Visit Gore at the Army Aviation Mission Solutions Summit (AAAA)
April 26, 2023 - April 29, 2023
Stop by Booth 1023 and ask to see our demonstrations to watch how GORE® Cables and Materials perform reliably before and after installation and over time. We’re also eager to hear about your latest airframe and aviation system developments and talk with you about our solutions to ensure mission performance and aircrew protection for FARA, FLRAA and enduring fleet.
W. L. Gore & Associates Expands High-Speed Data Transmission Capabilities
Posted April 18, 2023
W. L. Gore & Associates (Gore) announced today its new Cat8 ethernet cable for use in aerospace and defense platforms. The new Cat8 ethernet cable allows for four times the high-speed data transmission previously possible.
W. L. GORE & ASSOCIATES WINS SUPPLIER OF THE YEAR AWARD FROM BAE SYSTEMS
Posted April 11, 2023
W. L. Gore & Associates (Gore) announced that last week it was one of 13 companies to win a “Partner 2 Win” Supplier of the Year award from BAE Systems for Gore’s high-performance cabling supporting countermeasure and electromagnetic defense solutions. In addition, Gore also received a Silver Supplier Award for best-in-class performance and contributions to supply chain success.
FOR INDUSTRIAL USE ONLY
Not for use in food, drug, cosmetic or medical device manufacturing, processing, or packaging operations.
Cables & Cable Assemblies
- Ethernet Cables for Civil Aircraft
- Shielded Twisted Pair Cables for Civil Aircraft
- CAN Bus Cables for Civil Aircraft
- Quad Cables (Specialty Versions) for Civil Aircraft
- Fibre Channel Cables for Civil Aircraft
- USB Cables for Civil Aircraft
- HDMI Cables for Civil Aircraft
- DVI Cables (Digital Only) for Civil Aircraft
- Fiber Optic Cables for Civil Aircraft
- Cable Protection Systems for Civil Aircraft
- Abrasion Resistant Cable Jacket for Civil Aircraft
Follow GORE® FireWire® Cables for Civil Aircraft