Most industries require quality, purity and contamination control, whether it’s demanded by regulations or by customers. Filters and vents from Gore provide value to a broad range of applications, from automobiles and cell phones to industrial chemicals and the manufacture of pharmaceutical solutions.
Consider what would happen if our filters and vents weren’t in place. Without a way to release built-up gases, packages of industrial chemicals could bloat or even burst, exposing dangerous goods to the environment and consumers. Automotive headlamps could fog over, creating unpleasant looking lights. Water, dirt and other particles could enter turbine engines, slowing them down and increasing their fuel consumption. Elemental and oxidized mercury couldn’t be removed from flue gas streams, just to name one of many harmful particles absorbed by Gore filters in high-volume industrial settings. In fact, many of our filtration media is used to keep users, and the environment, safe from contamination.
Each vent or filter is engineered for a specific application, whether it involves low- or high-loading streams, with or without a cleaning system. Venting is a passive process, while some filters can be electronically powered. What unites each separation process is ePTFE and its high-performance attributes engineered by Gore:
- In drug discovery, the chromatography purification step is often the most time-consuming step, leading to back-ups in the pipeline. GORE™ Protein Capture Devices provide a unique ePTFE membrane composite solution for faster antibody purification.
- Used for bioprocessing, GORE® Sterilizing Grade Vent Filters are about half the size of competitors’ filters, reducing the possibility of kinking and other process errors.
- Our packaging vents continually release gases without getting clogged by cleaning solutions. This is possible because ePTFE is hydrophobic and oleophobic, causing liquids to “roll off” while enabling gases and molecules to escape through the vent.
- Meanwhile, GORE® REMEDIA® Catalytic Filtration baghouses need to both filter particles and destroy harmful dioxin molecules. Our custom-engineered ePTFE combines with catalysts to form a coherent catalytic fiber that destroys gaseous dioxins, while ePTFE’s microporous structure filters dust and fine particles, and further reduces the total emission of toxins to the atmosphere.
- Each of our filters and vents provides superior service life because ePTFE is highly durable.
It’s impossible to capture the performance of Gore’s venting, filtration and separation solutions in one or two examples; the industries we serve, and the requirements they present, vary too widely. But in each case, Gore uses ePTFE to help remove the bad and keep the good — often for the greater good.